Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Letter From Louie

The day arrived, as we both knew it would. Our daughter had left home to start a family of her own; our older son had moved to Los Angeles to seek work in the movie business; our younger son was away at college; and now Louie, our little caramel fluff ball, our substitute child, our our relentless teething machine, was leaving home. For two days.

Actually, we were leaving. The Reverend had a professional conference, and I had to be in New York for a couple of days. Our good friends N & P, who know a lot about dogs, and are extremely patient and loving people, not unlike the kindly couple across the street when you are growing up, who insist you come to dinner on those nights when your father has passed out on the floor from abusing prescription drugs and your mother, in the thrall of a dissociative episode, has driven off to Hollywood hoping she will be cast in the remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice, in the Lana Turner role, or if that fails, the Marie Dressler role in Tugboat Annie. Which is not to say that my own mother and father were anything like that. Where was I? Oh yes, N & P had agreed to care for Louie.

We took Louie over to their home earlier in the week so that he meet them and get used to the all the new smells. They live in a house in the country with rolling fields where dogs can without fear of being flattened by 16 wheelers. Seriously. On Monday, swept along by a great wave of separation anxiety, The Reverend dropped him off on her way to New Hampshire. Imagine our delight when we received the following email only a few hours later.

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:21:19 -0400
To: The Rev
From: N & P
Subject: Louie's visit
Cc:
Bcc:

Hi mom and dad,

Just a quick note to let you know I'm doing just fine. I'm trying hard to behave myself so I can come back for future visits - but it's hard! I've got a couple of new toys I'm enjoying, especially the yellow ball. I "stole" the Ziploc box from the recycle bin but got caught!
We had lots of fun today playing in the yard and the garden. I'm pretty pooped! In fact, I suspect P is trying to get a photo of me sleeping upside down in my crate after I wrote this! Maybe I'll send it along in an email tomorrow night.

Anyway, don't worry about me. I'm just fine but do miss you both VERY MUCH! N and P treat me fine but it's not the same as HOME!

Hope you're both well and miss me as much as I miss you.

I'll try to write again tomorrow if they let me use the computer. They're complaining about dirt on the keyboard! What do they expect? After all, my paws don't tiptoe across the keys as neatly as fingers do!

N is off to her Small Group and P will sit with me until she returns.
Hugs to you both..."Chewie Louie"
Louie with ball.jpg
40K View Download

No comments:

Post a Comment